This is just a partial listing of my research projects and is presented as follows: (1) books and book chapters, (2) papers about Bayes, (3) papers about Coase, (4) papers about constitutional law, (5) research papers posted on arXiv, (6) research papers posted on SSRN, (7) reviews, (8) shorter works, and (9) works in progress. (Updated: July of 2020.)
BOOKS AND BOOK CHAPTERS
- Business Law & Strategy, with Sean Melvin and David Orozco (McGraw Hill, 1st ed., in press).
- Buy or Bite?, in Glen Whitman & James Dow, editors, Economics of the Undead (Rowman & Littlefield, 2014), pp. 123-129. (This book is available here; my chapter “Buy or Bite” was featured on Freakonomics Radio.)
- El ajedrez in Blade Runner: lecciones de la Partida Inmortal, in Daniel Nina, editor, Blade Runner: memoria, vigilancia y el sujeto desechable, Ediciones Callejón (2008), pp. 105-130. (This book is available here.)
PAPERS ABOUT BAYES’ THEOREM AND “BAYESIAN VOTING”
- The Case for Bayesian Judges, The Journal of Legal Metrics, Vol. 6, No. 1 (2019), pp. 13-20 (lead article).
- Why Don’t Juries Try Range Voting?, Criminal Law Bulletin, Vol. 51, No. 3 (2016), pp. 68-692.
- Visualizing Probabilistic Proof, Washington University Jurisprudence Review, Vol. 7, No. 1 (2014), pp. 39-75.
- The Turing Test and the Legal Process, The Journal of Information & Communications Technology Law, Vol. 21, No. 2 (June 2012), pp. 113-126 (lead article).
- A Bayesian Model of the Litigation Game, The European Journal of Legal Studies, Vol. 4, No. 2 (Autumn/Winter 2011/2012), pp. 220-240.
PAPERS ABOUT THE COASE THEOREM
- Of Coase and Copyrights: The Law and Economics of Literary Fan Art, The NYU Journal of Intellectual Property (in press)
- Does the Prisoners Dilemma Refute the Coase Theorem?, The UIC John Marshall Law Review, Vol 47, No. 4 (Summer 2014), pp. 1289-1318 (symposium paper).
- Trolley Problems, Drake Law Review, Vol. 63 (2014), pp. 101-119.
- Modelling the Coase Theorem, The European Journal of Legal Studies , Vol. 5, No. 2 (Autumn/Winter 2012/2013), pp. 139-157.
- Clones and the Coase Theorem, The Journal of Law & Social Deviance, Vol. 2 (2011), pp. 43-91.
- Coase’s Paradigm, Indian Journal of Law & Economics, Vol. 1, No. 2 (2010), pp. 1-32 (lead article).
PAPERS ABOUT CONSTITUTIONAL LAW, HISTORY, AND THEORY
- Domestic Constitutional Violence, The UA Little Rock Law Review, Vol. 41 (2019), pp. 211-232 (symposium paper).
- Bitcoin, the Commerce Clause, and Bayesian Stare Decisis, The Chapman Law Review, Vol. 22, No. 1 (2019), pp. 143-160 (symposium paper).
- Gödel’s Loophole, Capital University Law Review, Vol. 43, No. 3 (Summer 2013), pp. 637-673 (over 5,700 downloads; featured on Hacker News and Gizmodo).
PAPERS POSTED ON “ArXiv”
- Ramsey’s Contributions to Probability (2020), arXiv:2003.13518
- The Poker-Litigation Game (2015), arXiv:1509.01214
PAPERS POSTED ON SSRN
- See my SSRN homepage here.
- Frank Ramsey’s Contributions to Probability Theory and Legal Theory, review of Cheryl Misak’s 2020 biography of Frank Ramsey (forthcoming).
- Cowen’s Capitalist Manifesto, review of Tyler Cowen 2019 love letter to big business (forthcoming; featured on Marginal Revolution).
- The Problem with Precedent, review of Randy J. Kozel, “Settled Versus Right: A Theory of Precedent” (Cambridge U Press, 2017), published in The Vienna Journal on International Constitutional Law, Vol. 12, No. 4 (2018), pp. 497-504.
- Exit, Voice, and Boilerplate, review Nathan B. Oman, “The Dignity of Commerce: Markets and Moral Foundations of Contract Law” (University of Chicago Press, 2017), published in The New Rambler (July 17, 2017).
- The Evolutionary Path of the Law, review of Ullica Segerstråle, “Nature’s Oracle: The Life and Work of W. D. Hamilton” (Oxford U Press, 2013), published in The Indonesian Journal of International & Comparative Law, Vol. 1, No. 3 (July 2014), pp. 878-890.
- A Beautiful Life: Some Lessons for Legal Scholars, review of Jeremy Adelman, “Worldly Philosopher: The Odyssey of Albert O. Hirschman” (Princeton U Press, 2013), published in The Mississippi College Law Review, Vol. 32, No. 3 (2014), pp. 495-501.
- Kant on Evidence: A Hypothetical Reply to Kerr, The Green Bag (in press).
- Research Fraud as Tort, Science, Vol. 349, No. 6255 (September 25, 2015), pp. 1459-1460.
- Time-Travel Thought Experiment, Science, Vol. 341, No. 6141 (July 5, 2013), pp. 28-29.
- Is Stare Decisis a Sand Castle?, Arizona State Law Journal (October 1, 2012).
- Public Trust Doctrine: Too Broad?, Science, Vol. 326, No. 5949 (October 2, 2009), pp. 45-46.
WORKS IN PROGRESS
- Breaking Bad Promises (under review, Palgrave Macmillan)
- Goedel’s Constitution (forthcoming)
- Teaching Tiger King (under review, various law reviews)